This one’s the result of recent Measured Spirit labwork with spring produce. A savory, slightly exotic, springy whiskey sour/smash-like thing.
How to make the Basil & Basil cocktail
- Muddle 5 Vietnamese basil leaves with .5 oz Demerara syrup [1:1] and two slices each of lemon and lime.
- Add 2 oz Basil [get it?] Hayden’s bourbon
- Fill muddling glass 2/3 full with ice
- STIR. Citrus, I know, I know, but wait for it…
- Dump the whole thing, Caipirinha-style, into a double Old Fashioned glass
- Smack a big ol’ basil leaf and drop it across the top of the glass
Basil & Basil cocktail tasting notes
- A rustic, seasonal whiskey smash
- The Thai basil brings a peppery licorice vibe
- The citrus and herb debris looks quite lovely in the glass
- The Basil H bourbon works really well here — its soft layers bring some complexity. Must be fate.
- The Demerara adds a sort of whole-grain bottom to the sweetness. I tried straight simple and the whole thing sort of collapsed.